Manuka in a nutshell
Manuka honey is a rich source of amino acids, B-vitamins (B6, thiamin, niacin, riboflavin), Calcium, Copper, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Phosphorus and Zink. Manuka honey is known to have a considerably higher level of enzymes than regular honey. These enzymes create a natural hydrogen peroxide that works as an antibacterial. UMF (unique manuka factor) is a global standard in identifying and measuring the antibacterial strenght of Manuka. The minimum UMF rating recognized is UMF5, however, it is not considered beneficial unless it carries a UMF10+ level of antibacterial activity in the honey. Anything ranging from UMF10 – UMF15 is a useful level, and anything UMF16 and higher is considered a superior quality. (source: www.draxe.com)
Benefits of Manuka
- Manuka honey may help balancing your digestive system and may heal stomach and intestinal imbalances.
- Some people suggest that Manuka works for acne and eczema.
- Take a spoonful of Manuka next time you have a sore throat, the honey stops the growth of Strep bacteria.
- Use the honey on cuts and burns.
- Use against pyrosis, heartburn.